Sunday, October 12, 2008

Post # 15: Listening to Podcasts is "Interesting"

Wow, what can I say about pod casts? I listened to as much of it as I could stand. I could not imagine being a teenager and made to listen to this mindless dribble while in class, in front of a computer with so many interesting things on it. First of all, I have a slow connection and subscribing to six different pod casts took alot of time. Not only did it take a long time to download each one, I had a very hard time finding most of the pod casts. This not only makes me lose interest in the pod casts, it makes me lose my patience.
The first podcast, Smartboard Lessons, was easy enough to find. It drew my attention immediately because of the "Simpsons" characters on the screen. I kept running into problems subscribing to this particular pod cast, so I listened to episode #147 for 10 minutes. It was awful. It sounded like a very bad local morning FM radio show. It took Ben and Joan well over nine minutes to say anything about education; by this time I had lost interest with the entire thing and began a new search for something better. I found some improvement with the next pod cast.
Kidcast, hosted by Dan, was definitely educational, but he bored me to tears. I listened to the last installment on the pod cast, #56, "Questions Make the World Go Round." Ugh!!! He talked very monotonously and although I know he talked about a really interesting subject, I could not get past how boring Dan was making the presentation. I began looking for other pod casts on the list, since only one of the pod casts could be found in the Listener Also Subscribes box. I found MacBreak Weekly and listened to the last cast, #109, posted on October 7. I noticed this cast had paid sponsor recognition which the previous pod casts did not have. It was also over an hour long. It took this lot of what sounded to be educated men at least 15 minutes to get off the subject of bad jokes and another pod cast, This Week in Photography, only to talk about CNN and AT&T verses Verizon. They also promoted the iPhone and commented on the stock market. I just did not find anything they talked about interesting or educational. It mainly sounded like another way to promote Apple products. And why not? I personally like their products, but hearing about it for an hour got a little boring. Now on to my next victim.
This Week in Photography at least stuck to the subject and stayed on track. I listened to the last cast posted, "Printing for Photographers." The host had a call in guest with some pretty interesting things for photographers to try while printing pictures and answered phone calls and emails from listeners. Like the other pod casts, I was bored to death. After listening to the pod casts I realized that maybe it isn't the pod casts that are boring, but the subjects that are discussed on these pod casts.
I wanted to find an interesting pod cast and I did. I really like GrammarGirl and Man and Wife. The subjects of these pod casts are totally different, from using proper grammar in everyday speech and writing papers for school, to relationship and sexual questions. At least I could stay alert through these pod casts. I did learn what not to do with my pod cast next week: try to stay on the subject, at least for the majority of the cast, and make it interesting!!! You may not talk about what most people want to hear, but you can make it as fun as possible. That is what I am going to try. Please Dr. Strange, don't make me listen to anymore educational pod casts!

No comments: