Sunday, November 16, 2008

Post #21: In-Class Blogs Were Fun!

Wow!! Everyone made some really interesting points. First, I listened to Theola Hines and Larrica Smith's pod cast entitled "Facebook as an Educational Tool?" During the pod cast, the ladies discussed how and why Facebook could be used in education. Their pod cast was the first one in our class, so I automatically think of them as the guinea pigs of our group. Actually, they did very well. As I remember, they were supposed to have a third member in the group, but they did not show. Theola and Larrica persevered and still took care of the assignment. I liked it because it was the shortest of all the pod casts I listened to and it was funny and infomative. I liked how Larrica asked all the questions and Theola had all the answers. The speech was a little monotonous, and at times, both students needed to speak louder. They also went around the moon to prove a point about Facebook. All in all, it was pretty good.
The second pod cast I listened to was Lisa Burke, Scarlett Moore, and Mandy Sullivan's discussion on "Technology Use at the University of South Alabama." It was very interesting. They discussed the classes and teachers that utilize technology in the classroom and the teachers and classes that do not. Of course at South, where mostly everyone, including myself, is about 10 years behind the rest of the free world, the technology could be used quite a bit more. They discussed Facebook, Moogle, E-Companion, and others that most of us use or have used. The only problem I saw with this pod cast was that it was a little long and monotonous. Overall, it was pretty good. You really don't realize how far behind South is until you have actually heard it. Good job guys!!! Maybe some good will come out of the broadcasting of this podcast.
The third pod cast I listened to was Chris Borchardt, Delana Bemis, and Heather Rogers' discussion on "UTube as an Educational Tool?" It was pretty good and offered alot of information about UTube and what can be found on it and how it can be useful in the classroom. They also dicussed the cons of having UTube in the classroom. Because of UTube allowing inappropriate material to be televised, it must be used in the classroom with extreme caution. Parents could be offended and upset, as well as students and faculty. The pod cast was a little long, over sixteen minutes.
I finally got an opportunity to listen to the pod cast I participated in with Daniel Griffin and Amanda Bentley. We discussed the positive effects Randy Pausche's Last Lecture had on us. I know we are not supposed to discuss how we can improve our pod cast, but ours needed very little improvement. Everyone spoke clearly and loud enough to be heard over the background noise. The pod cast was approximately twelve minutes and we stayed on track. We were funny, innovative, and we did not forget to mention where we found all of our research on Dr. Pausche. The only areas where I saw even the slightest improvement was that I could say "Umm" alot less, Amanda could just talk more, and Daniel could have left the beer remark out of it. Those are all very small things. I think we did very well. All in all I think all of the pod casts will be better next semester because they will be video casts!

No comments: