Sunday, November 30, 2008

Post #24: My Correspondence With Ms. Giardina

I corresponded with a fantastic teacher in Birmingham, Alabama. Her name is Steffayne Giardina and she is a first grade teacher at
Vestavia Hills Elementary East. Ms. Giardina attended collge at the University of Alabama Birmingham. She graduated from Vestavia in 1986. Ms. Giardina has a BA and a MA in Early Childhood
Education from UAB. She has taught K and 1st in Homewood at Shades Cahaba for 11 years. Her husband, Michael and herself have 3 children--Anna and Julia-4th
grade--Riley-Kindergarten. Ms. Giardina also has a 3 year old West Highland Terrier named Duffy.
She has been teaching first grade at Vestavia for seven years. I got in contact with Ms. Giardina through my cousin Allen who used to live in Birmingham. Her first grade class has a link from the elementary school's web page. It is entitled Giardina's Geniuses. The link includes a supply list for the class, personal information about the teacher, a wish list, announcements, and a list of helpful links. I asked Ms. Giardina how she utilizes technology in her classroom. She uses a Promethian Board, Document Camera, Clickers, laptops, and digital microphones. I can't imagine a bunch of 6 years olds around all this equipment. She says her students are always excited to learn to use the technology and she loves to show them how to use it properly.
I also asked Ms. Giardina if there was alot of difference in how technology is used in classrooms now and at the time of her graduation from college. She is very happy to pass the knowledge she has of technology on to her young pupils. I asked her if she had any advice for an up and coming educator. She said, "I would recommend brushing up on all of the new ways to implement in classroom--take workshops when available." I enjoyed my brief exchange with Ms. Giardina and hope to continue communication with her in the future.

No comments: